The Battleship Island is a 2017 South Korean period action film starring Hwang Jung-min, So Ji-sub, Song Joong-ki and Lee Jung-hyun. It is a Japanese occupation-era film about an attempted prison break from a forced labor camp on Hashima Island.
The Battleship Island (Main Cast) :
- A bandmaster at a hotel in Gyeongseong, who chooses to take his only daughter to Japan in order to keep her safe. But they get sent to the Hashima labor camp instead, and there he’ll do anything that’s asked of him, as long as he can protect his daughter.
- The best street fighter in Gyeongseong, a coarse man who constantly stirs up troubles in the labor camp. Under his harsh and rough exterior, he has a good heart.
- A member of the Korean independence movement who infiltrates the island in order to rescue a fellow independence fighter being held captive there.
- A comfort woman who gets moved to Hashima after going through endless troubles under the Japanese colonization, but never loosens her strong grip on hope.
- Right wing Japanese media, such as the daily Sankei Shimbun newspaper, have attacked the film accusing it of distorting historic truth. In response, director Ryoo Seung-wan has asserted that the film has “non-fiction” elements that show “how war can make man a monster”, it is not intended to convey anti-Japanese sentiment. However, Japan has acknowledged that Korean and Chinese forced laborers were there during World War II when it applied to UNESCO for World Heritage status for Hashima Island. South Korea had opposed the bid until Japan acknowledged that “large number[s] of Koreans and others […] were brought against their will and forced to work under harsh conditions in the 1940s at some of the sites [including Hashima island]” But after Hashima was given WHS status, Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida clarified comments made during the submission process, specifically that “[forced to work under harsh conditions] by the Japanese government representative did not mean forced labor“. Although UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee required that a monitoring mechanism be established to measure the degree to which the victims of Hashima are remembered, the island’s official tourism website and tour program – operated by Nagasaki City – currently does not comply with this condition.
Bollywood Movies | Hollywood Movies | Request